Guest Review: Leather Head by Matt Converse

Gable is just playing dress up for San Francisco's leather S&M fair, but Leather Head isn't playing. His friend Shawn warns him to be careful what he's advertising for since the community has been rocked by four brutal murders. Gable still thinks it's all in fun, but it isn't. Desire can be deadly.


Guest Reviewer - NeRdyWYRM

Dark and Clever

I enjoyed this twisted little short quite a bit. I thought the author found a very clever way of smooshing a lot of story into a small package. Maybe it’s been done before, maybe not, I dunno. But I liked the bits of the past interspersed in one ‘whole-book’ scene from the present. It made it feel like way more story than was actually there. This also highlighted one bone of contention for me, though, that being: there was enough meat on the bones of this plot for it to have been a full-length book. I wondered why the author didn’t go that route, but the short was good as is so … I’ll have to remain satisfied with the niblets.


Leather Head was a slightly over-the-top villain in short-story form. I think he could have been truly diabolical with more page time. In this case, his actions had to speak for him, thus, The Bone of Contention. We did get a little bit of his voice, but I wanted in his freaky-ass Leather Head. I know I’m being a little wishy-washy on this one because I keep whining (indirectly) about the length. Don’t get me wrong, this was an excellent short because it left me wanting more. The fact that it had potential to be an even better full-length book speaks volumes.

If you want a dark and dirty quickie, this is the one for you.


More reviews by NeRdyWYRM can be found on Goodreads here.
Images (when present) may be subject to copyright.

An ARC copy of this title was provided for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment