Review: Dragon's Breath (Dragon's Soul #3) by Stephani Hecht

Sometimes, to save another, you have to look at your own weaknesses first. 

Ever since Nicholas saw the small Dragon in chains in the scrying bowl, he knew that he had to save him. For some reason Nicholas is drawn to the other man and he won’t rest until he knows he’s safe. 

Tommy has been a captive from the day he was born. When he is rescued by Nicholas he feels an instant connection to him.

But Tommy is afraid to let his guard down and let anybody get close to him. Can Tommy overcome his abusive past? Or will it doom him and Nicholas from finding love?


I’m a pretty big sucker for dragon shifter stories and then when some hurt/comfort gets thrown in there, well that’s just a recipe for delicious escapism. That’s what I had a hankering for, but I would advise to pay close attention to the blurb:

For some reason Nicholas is drawn to the other man 

When he is rescued by Nicholas he feels an instant connection to him. 

“For some reason” and “An instant connection” are key here. “For some reason”, now generally, I like more than “some reason” but it didn’t happen, so I just had to trust it was a thing. The story is too short to get a real connection so there’s the standard shifter/paranormal “instant connection” and again I had to just go with it.

Now I don’t want you to think I’m cracking on this story too hard, believe me, I love me a good insta-love shifter fest now and again and Dragon’s Breath is an easy to read 62 pages of just that. I just needed some ‘moments’ to make the story stand out and I think the set up lent itself to that so it just seemed like an opportunity missed. Tommy was over a lifetime of slavery in a hot minute after he sees Nicholas and I don’t necessarily need a ton of reality, but I missed the comfort part of the hurt/comfort.

While Dragon’s Breath is the third in the series, there’s really not a ton of world building you need backup for so you can easily read it as a standalone. I did read the first two just because and they all have about the same level of depth, but my only niggle is they all end at about the 85% mark and have a blurb and preview for another book. When I’m already feeling a little shortchanged on detail, I don’t like to get “The End” when I’m expecting (and wanting) another 15%.

For some quick brain candy with likable, albeit surface level characters, dive on in. Dragon’s Breath isn’t the most memorable of stories, but it is an entertaining diversion which is always a good thing to have on deck for when RL is just not doing it for you. Soak up the insta love/lust and go with an easy HEA, ain’t nothing wrong with that.



**a copy of this story was provided for an honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment