Review: Love in the Time of Hurricanes (States of Love) by CC Bridges

The night Nick Henderson storms into Martelli’s Pizzeria, he’s just looking for something to eat. Along with dinner, he finds Lou Martelli—pizza cook extraordinaire and Jersey Shore native. Nick is renting a Shore house for the winter while taking classes at the local community college as he devises a way to escape the accounting major his father chose for him.

When Lou offers to show Nick around, heat flares between them as they realize they have more in common than domineering families. But it’s not all fun and games on the boardwalk. Hurricane Sandy blows ashore, changing the place Nick was starting to think of as home. His peace is shattered, and it will take everything he has to keep his relationship with Lou from being torn apart by the storm brewing around them.





I’ll keep this short and simple.

This book didn’t work for me. I loved the idea of it, of moving to a new place, meeting a townie and being forced to take shelter together riding out a storm, to falling in love and yet, I felt nothing.

Nick was a decent narrator but I felt as if I was being told the entire story and never allowed to feel it.

I didn’t feel the crush Nick had on Lou nor the rush of emotions that came from either man on their first date. It all should have given me great feelings with breakfast, a motorcycle ride to favorite spots and a man who loves to cook and feed those he loves and yet… nada. The deal with the storm added absolutely nothing to the story and just felt like filler. Don’t get me started on the boys and their inability to talk to their fathers which again, could have added depth but, nope.

Nick and Lou were flat, no character development or chemistry at all. I just didn’t feel any of the characters, even Nick’s classmates who really should have made me feel but I didn’t.

I don’t exactly know why but this one and me, we didn’t mesh.


Find on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment