Guest Review: Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2) by Kim Dare


Everet has found his perfect place in the nest. As a raven, he’s ideally suited to his new role in the nest’s security flock. Some of the jobs it entails have been far more enjoyable than others, but when he’s called to retrieve a magpie, whose got himself into trouble in a local human club, it becomes a truly life changing experience.

Magpie shifters have always been looked down on by other avians. Just as attracted to shiny things in their human bodies as they are in their avian forms, everyone knows they’ll do anything for money—and they’re not above stealing what they can’t get by more honest means.

Kane knows what being a magpie means, and he’s got the bruises to show for it. When Everet rescues him from his latest scrape, Kane knows better than to believe the raven will actually take an interest in him and his welfare, but it’s just possible that Everet is different to any other man Kane has ever met.

Please note: This book is best to read in order as part of the Avian Shifters series. The previous stories are Duck! and Celebrate.


I absolutely LOVED ‘Duck!’ so I knew it would be hard to read this book and not compare the two. I tried my hardest to read this as a book on its own, to not continue comparing it to ‘Duck!’. I think for the most part I succeeded, but there was always that little part of me that thought, “this is not as good as Duck!”.

I honestly think that was mostly to do with Kane. Kane is a Magpie, and everyone knows they have no morals and will do anything, or anyone, for their little piece of shiny.
“The silver, it’s…” He shook his head. There were no words to describe the way the element seemed to seep through his skin…”
Kane is no different, and he gets himself in a tad too much trouble for stealing and is taken by Everet to the Hamilton nest for punishment.

I guess you could place Kane in the ‘brat’ category but I think he fits the ‘little shit’ category much better. Kane’s character really confused me. I really didn’t like him, he was an arrogant fucker who looked down on those who were lower than he was (which was not many), and manipulated whoever he could, however he could, to get what he wanted.


He was an unashamed whore and thief who didn’t want to change his ways in the slightest. I really didn’t like him, but I still felt sorry for him and understood why he was the way he was. It was quite confusing to, in equal parts, want to smack someone in the face and give them a big cuddle. Kane’s story and thinking processes are slowly revealed to us and that cuddle side starts to strongly overtake the face-smacking side.


Now Everet immediately feels a protective instinct for Kane and offers to take full responsibility of him as his Master instead of Kane needing to face a punishment. Everet is a much better person than me, he has the patience of a… well, a really good master. Which is exactly what he is to Kane. He helps Kane to see his worth while he slowly falls in love with him.

Like all Kim Dare books the sex scenes were sooo hot! God that Silver room scene with the knife (Don’t worry no blood) and the rough fucking….


The D/S relationship is sooooo different from Raynard and Ori’s, but that's probably because Kane has such strong survival instincts that he fights submission until we all feel like killing him. I think that's what makes this so beautiful though. Kane has to overcome so much to be with Everet in the way they both deserve, that you feel as though you’ve achieved something wonderful when you finally see their HEA.


Can't wait for Albatross, gentle giant submissive! I'm there!



For information on Goodreads or Booklikes!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you've persuaded me. Off to get Duck, it's been on my list forever but I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete