Review: More Than Luck (Legendary Pairs #2) by Casey Cameron

Drey Harper isn't looking for love; he had more than enough heartbreak after a betrayal cost him everything five years ago. Now at 40, he's the art director for the hit collectible card game Legendary Pairs. Between long hours at work and countless anonymous hookups, Drey's life seems pretty full...until the day he meets Lucas Cho.

In the world of Legendary Pairs, 24-year-old Lucas Cho is a superstar. He plays for big money and parties like a rock star, and his arrogant swagger gets him what he wants, at the gaming table or in bed. But when a chance encounter with Drey in a crowded bar leaves him wanting more, all his fortune and skills count for nothing.

The company thinks Lucas's glamorous playboy lifestyle is good for business, but it's going too far--Lucas is spinning out of control, and Drey has been sent to clean up the mess and save Lucas's sponsorship. With a major tournament coming up and Lucas's contract with Legendary Pairs on the line, it's up to Drey to keep him out of the bottle and walking that line.

For Lucas, the stakes have never been higher, but the game he's playing has nothing to do with cards and everything to do with the stoic older man who's captured his attention. Drey knows a relationship between them is out of the question--Lucas is too young, too reckless, too broken--but the more time he spends in Lucas's company, the more he wants what he shouldn't have in this steamy May/December romance.


Who knew a story about card games could be so interesting? Not me. Although I really enjoyed Book #1 in this series (which is a novella, but still great fun), I didn’t think I’d get into a full length novel about it, but I did.

I am totally sold on this world. I feel like I missed out on an entirely different universe that I wasn’t cool enough to be involved in. This book showed me how awesome these types of card games could be, if I had have been smart enough to be strategic.

Lucas and Drey start out quite hostile to each other, and it is because Lucas has damage, and appears to be a pretty superficial brat. Drey has no time for the hot mess that is Lucas. He has cards to design, and a daughter to raise, and an ex to brood about.

Lucas knows he’s a hot mess, but can’t seem to get out of his funk. He feels abandoned by his family, and is no longer enjoying being in the limelight. His relationship with his father is pretty intense, and this added to his overall angst.

I liked the plot, and the character development. Surly guys are my kryptonite so Drey as a character hit all my buttons. Lucas’ behaviour towards Drey was the icing on the cake. A bratty younger man who lives to annoy Drey, was perfect. Add to the dysfunction by making Drey babysit the party boy and this is a minefield of fun, witty, and frustrating.

I am a huge fan of how Drey’s bisexuality was worked in this story. It was a near perfect thing. His daughter was a great side character. I love it when authors throw in teens that have pearls of wisdom up their sleeve at the most inopportune times. I also loved that she brought out another layer of Lucas that wouldn’t have been known unless she was around. Great use of family to entice, in this story.

There isn’t a whole lot of drama in this story. Not in the way that annoys me, so this was a fun, easy read, with some nicely developed characters, and a fun world for them to play in.

I am really looking forward to where this series might lead me. I think the world is great, and will appeal to a lot of people.

A review copy was provided for an honest opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment