Audiobook Review: Saving Silas by SJ Himes

Haunted by his years at war, Boston paramedic Gael Dominic spends his time saving other people’s lives. An empty house, a single friend, and living at work, Gael is not content with his existence, but he’s close. Gael was expecting his overnight shift on Thanksgiving to be the same as always—manic crowds, heart attacks...until catastrophe strikes, and Boston’s streets run with blood.

On the run from an abusive and politically powerful father, Silas has been on the cold, mean streets of Boston for days, injured, hungry and alone. When he wakes up in the middle of a nightmare, he expects to die in the same alley he was calling home.

Brought together by tragedy, Silas and Gael can’t resist their attraction. Gael may have saved Silas, but it’s his alleyway angel who brings Gael back to life.

As Christmas approaches, Silas and Gael learn how to love, despite their pasts. And as Silas' past closes in, Gael learns the greatest gift he could ever give isn't something bought in a store, but freely given from the heart.

Listening Length: 3 hours and 38 minutes

*Previously Published as part of Home For The Holidays, A M/M Holiday Anthology, Nov. 29th, 2015.*

This rating is brought to you by it's not you it's me.



Cats.

Some people love 'em, some people don't. Me, I'm very much prepared to be a mad cat lady in my latter years, my husband's Grandma looks at my kitties as though they were made by Satan himself. (That might be a tad exaggerated, but it's fair to say she doesn't like my beautiful fur balls).

Like cats, some books are loved by some and not so much by others. Even when there is nothing wrong with the writing or story, beyond it just not working for that particular reader - and, yep you've guessed it, this was one such story for me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the writing or story or characters or plot or.... anything, but it didn't draw me in.

I would like to say, the narration of this story was excellent, Derrick McClain is the reason I chose to review this in the first place, he has a unique intonation to his storytelling that I really enjoy. (He also has a really sexy voice...) I heartily recommend him as a narrator and will always look twice at a book narrated by him.

As I said, there is no reason for me to dislike this story, I love the premise but the execution just didn't work for me. It was just a writing style I couldn't gel with - which makes reviewing very hard. Logically I know there is nothing technically wrong with the story. I can't point at poor writing or characterisation or bad editing. How do I define what exactly makes a story good if the tick list of technicalities is all accounted for? Maybe it was a bit too instalove for my tastes, a bit overly dramatic maybe, I was bored by the sex scenes. But I know it is just me.

Please, please check out other reviews for this story because my heart wasn't in it, but I know many other readers will love it.

A copy of this audiobook was given on exchange for an honest review.
For more information see Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment