Audiobook Review: Dirty Heart (Cole McGinnis, #6) by Rhys Ford

Former LAPD detective Cole McGinnis’s life nearly ended the day his police partner and best friend Ben Pirelli emptied his service weapon into Cole and his then-lover, Rick. Since Ben turned his gun on himself, Cole thought he’d never find out why Ben tried to destroy him.

Years later, Cole has stitched himself back together. Now a private investigator and in love with Jae-Min Kim, a Korean-American photographer he met on a previous case, Cole’s life is back on track—until he discovers Jeff Rollins, a disgraced cop and his first partner, has resurfaced and appears to be working on the wrong side of the law.

As much as Cole’s fought to put the past behind him, he’s soon tangled up in a web of lies, violence, and death. Jeff Rollins is not only trying to kill Cole’s loved ones, he is also scraping open old wounds and long-forgotten memories of the two men Cole loved and lost. Cole is sure Rollins knows why Ben ruined all their lives, but he isn’t looking for answers. Now Cole is caught in a cat-and-mouse game with a cold-blooded killer with the key to not only his past but his future.

Listening Length: 7 hours and 19 minutes
Narrator: Greg Tremblay



Greg Tremblay…


I have binge listened to this series over the past 6 weeks and the fact that I'm still not sick of listening to Tremblay's voice after 40ish hours of listening to him, is saying something about his talent.

I said this in my review for Dirty Kiss, but Tremblay's voice for Cole is amazing, not because of the type of voice he uses but the inflection he has and the way he accentuates certain words. I wish I could copy and paste sections of his narration and put it here as an example, but because I can't, you'll have to do with my poor excuse of trying to explain his talent in words.

Tremblay consistently staying on the right character's voice was very impressive. Not just in this book but across the entire series. Cole, Jae, Claudia, Bobby, Scarlett and every other main side character had their own unique voice and it stayed the same throughout every conversation in every book.

As for the story. Cole and Jae were as beautiful as ever, although I would've like to have seen more of them together, especially being the last of the series.


There was a ton of shooting, of course. A very important side character got shot and it hurt to listen to. Poor Cole has been through and goes through so much more in this book, and Tremblay's narration delivered that extra punch right into the feels.

It was great to finally get some conclusion to the whole Ben fiasco, that was by far my favourite part to this installment. The ending for Jae and Cole was sweet but I did want a bit more... omph or something, considering it's the last we'll see of them after 6 books following their relationship.

I can honestly say I would not have enjoyed this series as much as I did if it wasn't in the audio. Mysteries are never my thing because the romance usually takes a back seat, but Tremblay was Cole, and I needed to stay with him until he got his HEA.

Dreamspinner Press

Goodreads

Our ebook review here!

No comments:

Post a Comment