Review: Where There's Smoke (Panopolis #1) by Cari Z.

Panopolis is a rough place to be an average Joe. I came here looking for adventure and excitement, but nobody cares about one more normal guy in a city filled with super-powered heroes. The closest I’ve come to glory is working in a bank that villains often rob.

But then I maybe accidentally-on-purpose helped a villain escape the hero who was trying to save the day. Imagine my shock when, a week later, that villain asked me out for coffee. One date turned into more, and now I’m head over heels in love with Raul.

Falling in love with the guy dubbed the Mad Bombardier isn’t without its downsides, though. I’ve had to deal with near-death encounters with other villains, awkwardly flirtatious heroes who won’t take no for an answer, and a lover I’m not sure I can trust. It’s getting to the point where I know I’ll have to make a choice: side with the heroes, or stand fast by my villain.

Either way, I think my days as a normal guy are over.





I picked this up on a lark after reading Cari's LOR story, 

I am not disappointed in my purchase.

Where There's Smoke is a great start to a series. Ordinarily, I don't like serials but every once in a while one comes along that I can't resist sinking my teeth into.

This was one of those times.

Where There's Smoke takes place in the fictional city of Panopolis which sounds a lot like Gotham with corrupt politicians who have, possibly (probably), sinister intents. 

Who are the good guys? The Heroes or the Villains or does the truth lie somewhere in between? Could it be that they're all just pawns in a grand, Machiavellian agenda to maintain the status quo and keep the city of Panopolis in the dark as to what's really happening? My money's on SuperTruther, the subversive radio show host, playing a role.

All of these governmental machinations are the backdrop to a burgeoning love story between Edward and Raul. Raul, a Basque Villain, who's been given the moniker of the Mad Bombardier, sets his sights on Edward while casing his bank. Coffee leads to more and more and more and then... 


We hadn't done this often, fucking each other after one of us was spent, but tonight I welcomed it. I wanted to show him I was for him, just for him, that he could take what he needed from me.

It ain't easy dating a Villain. All his villainous friends and those pesky Heroes try to stand in the way of their love, namely Freight Train, Hero and, as I've dubbed him, White Bread. Man, is he boring. Jesus, Mary and Joseph! He's the walking incantation of watching paint dry. Plus, he pretty much lives with his meddling "Memaw", Edward's neighbor, and is always lurking. Weirdo.

I don't always love the villains or anti-heroes. I admit I do lurve me some Batman, but more Dark Knight Batman than Michael Keaton Batman, so kinda edgy. I didn't know if I was coming or going in The Dark Knight Rises because... 



Tom Hardy could be the hero, the villain, the crazy train, hell, he could have multiple personalities and I'd still be down! Because Tom Hardy. 

But, I do really like Raul. He my kind of crazy. That thing with Pinball was fucked up and nasty and horrid and fantastic and kinda sweet, actually. I totally understand why Edward's got it bad for him.

Writing is... it's Cari Z.! If you haven't read anything by her, you're only hurting yourself.

Highly recommend and will be on pins and needles for the next installment which releases 7/13!!!!!!!!

WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!



Find out more on Goodreads.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you have convinced me enough to put it on my list, I may regret this? we shall see....

    ReplyDelete