Fangirl Moment: Parting Shot by Mary Calmes

Life has never been easy for Duncan Stiel. His childhood was the stuff of nightmares, and his day job as an undercover police officer forces him to hide his true self and occasionally lands him in the hospital. So when he finally meets the perfect man, it comes as no surprise that everything falls apart around him. What Duncan doesn’t expect is that the hardest hurdle to get over before he can make a life with Aaron Sutter is the one inside himself.

Everyone thinks Aaron has it all—looks, money, fame, and success beyond measure. Everyone, that is, except Aaron. At the end of the day, the cameras stop flashing, friends go back to their own lives, company business is handled, and Aaron is always alone. The moment he meets Duncan Stiel, Aaron knows he’ll do anything to hold onto the larger-than-life detective. But when he realizes money won’t buy him the ultimate happiness, Aaron needs to find the strength to give Duncan something much more important—his heart.


God, where do I even begin? Of course I loved this book. I adored this book. I want to marry this book and have its babies. Why, you ask?

BECAUSE IT’S MARY FREAKIN’ CALMES, THAT’S WHY!



You either love her or you don’t. Me? I’m a lover of all things Mary Calmes. I can always count on Mary for my fix of perfect MC’s and the alpha males who love them. She’s reliable; she never strays from her formula. Except this time she did.

And it was awesome!

She took two, count ‘em, TWO alpha males and threw them together. You’ve got Aaron “I’m Better Than Everyone Else” Sutter and Duncan “Like I Give a Fuck” Stiel. And it worked. It worked so well that I’m absolutely blown away! Don’t worry, there was still plenty of classic Mary in the story. There were the eye squints and the topcoats and the easy dialogues. But then she threw in all the extras and the new stuff. It was fantastic!

Poor Duncan, he’s had a rough life! I wasn’t too sure I liked him when I met him in Acrobat but I sure as hell do now! He’s big and strong and a total dick but in a loving, caring way. And Aaron! I kinda liked him by the end of Bulletproof but not really. I thought he was way too arrogant. He’s still arrogant, but in an incredibly endearing way.

These two were a match that came completely out of left field. I loved their banter. Yes, there was a lot of sweet moments but remember, these are two tough guys. Their declarations of love were more along the lines of “Oh, how fucking unromantic of you to say that,” and flipping each other off than the classic “I love you”. And don’t even get me started on the sex! Guh and unf and all those other words to describe the hotness. I am so glad that I was gifted with this tale. My only wish is that there was more. I want more. Scratch that – I NEED more.

Please Mary, please will you write a ton more books like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment