Review: Diversion by Eden Winters

Drug dealers aren't always on the streets; sometimes they sit in offices and board rooms, selling merchandise in official looking bottles instead of little cellophane bags.

When given a choice between eight more years in prison or using his "expertise" to assist the Southeastern Narcotics Bureau's Department of Diversion Prevention and Control, convicted drug trafficker Richmond "Lucky" Lucklighter takes the sentence with the illusion of freedom. Cynical and unwilling to admit he's begun to care about his job, he counts the days until his debt is paid. His sole obstacle to getting his life back is the rookie he's assigned to train before he leaves; a rookie who quotes pharmacy texts, hasn't paid his dues, and has the obnoxious tendency of seeing the good in everyone – including the target of their investigation.

Former Marine Bo Schollenberger dreamed of becoming a pharmacist and watched the dream turn into a nightmare of PTSD-fueled prescription drug abuse. Battling his demons daily, he wakes up every morning, wondering, "Will this be the day I give in?" To keep his license, he must now put his skills to use for a diversion control task force, deal with a crude partner with too much attitude and no brain-to-mouth filter, and take down a drug lord who reminds him of his favorite cooking show hostess.

The bad guys don't stand a chance -- if Lucky and Bo don't strangle each other first...






I was lost but now I am found! One million stars to you, Eden Winters! But seriously. I’ve been in a bit of a book slump lately and haven’t been able to sit down and read one full book in a while. Well, I’m back to my old self and read this puppy in one day. Fantastic. I’ve had this guy sitting in my library for, like, a year, and just now I decided to give it a shot. Lucky and Bo might be one of my favorite couples of all time, now. They’re getting up there with the likes of Gordon Frost and Adam Blake, or Christopher Holmes and J.X. Moriarity. So the plot was amazing. I’m going to have to badger Eden Winters about how she came up with it because that is some White Collar shit right there. Well, the sluttier, gayer (Matt Bomer not included) version of White Collar.

Anyway, anyway, anyway, I’m getting off topic. The plot was awesome. I had no idea what was going on for the first, like, three chapters and kept saying, “Hehehe, omgomgomgomg, you’re in so much trouuuubbble!” Oh boy and was Lucky ever trouble. He epitomizes trouble. Actually, not that I think about it, why am I sitting here writing this review and not reading Collusion? :\ Okay, the plot was original, fun, action-packed, never boring, I NEVER skimmed through anything (this is a big deal), the sex was sexy, the funny parts had me in stitches, and boy, was the romance refreshing. Quotes. I highlighted a million things, but I’ll put in a few gems.
Was Bo straight? Spaghetti’s straight until things heat up.
Lucky’s inner monologue, especially when he first meets Bo, it kills me. Slays meeeeeeee, it’s so damn funny.
I bet you got an ass like an onion. Make me wanna cry.
The beginning of Chapter 5 consisted of Lucky’s inner professions of love for Bo’s bum and I seriously was almost killed. I almost choked to death on my water and started wheezing like a dying animal.
Walter, fumbling with his vibrating cell phone, missed the exchange. Lucky mouthed, “When and where?” Bo mouthed back, “In your dreams.”


Okokok. So, amazingly awesome and unique plot, some of my favorite characters evvaaarrr. So fun, fresh, different, and can’t wait to read the second one. Actually, I’m off to the races with that right now.

I was considering posting like 25 stars on this (because it was that good), but feared I'd be slaughtered by fellow unicorns.

1 comment: