Audiobook Review: Romanus (Romanus #1) by Mary Calmes

2nd Edition

Stopping to offer help one sultry summer night, Mason James is unprepared for the change that this simple act of kindness will bring. After giving an old man a ride home, Mason discovers a new, magical, and even dangerous world he cannot hope to understand. But he also finds Luc Toussaint and is intoxicated at first sight... and even the secret Luc protects won't be enough to keep Mason away from the truth of his heritage and their love.

1st edition published by Dreamspinner Press, 2010.

 
Listening Length: 1 hr 57 mins
Narrator: Greg Tremblay



Well hello Mr. Greg Tremblay!



I've read so many testaments that this narrator is one of the elite. And being an audiobook neophyte, I didn't pay attention much. I didn't know.

I figured why not try this narrator out with a book I've already read and written by an author I enjoy.

Tremblay made the book an even better experience.

This is gargoyles, Calmes style! And she even followed up with a new story, Chevalier this year. (Which I definitely will be reading)

To be honest, I prefer Calmes' contemporary the most BUT Romanus was one paranormal story I really enjoyed. Possibly because the length and gargoyles. But it had the items that makes a Calmes...a Calmes. Possessive hero, everyone is drawn to the other hero, melty kisses.



Firefighter Mason does what he thinks is a easy rescue job on his way home in Kentucky one night. Instead, he discovers the gateway to changing his life upside down. He discovers a gargoyle clan and finds a mate in Luc, a soldier of the clan. Luc and Mason heat up the pages with their chemistry. They find a balance because Luc wants to be the one and only right the fuck NOW, but Mason puts his foot down...while starting something with the other man.

And public sex.


Growly possessive public sex.

Okay, so the story hit my buttons. Tee-hee.

Now I see the difference great narration does for a book. Tremblay did different, distinct voices. He did the accents, he really narrated the hell out of a 3.5 star book for me. He made it magic. I could visualize every action and he made it better. So much so, I'm bumping up my rating to 3.75 Hearts because the narration was a 4 Heart job...the story was basically the same, so I'm not going to get rating crazy.

I had the same feels for the plot twists - couldn't stand the jealous supposed friend and the 'action'/kidnapping plot was a little out there. But it works because this is paranormal. I am happy for the sequel because there were a few questions I had that I wanted answered three years ago when I originally read Romanus - who were Mason's parents? what can a Romanus do? what will happen with a gargoyle/human pairing (secondary characters)?

Still think gargoyles were cool, loved how Tremblay did their accents (think French)! Oh la la!

This is a quick read for readers who are in the mood for alpha possessiveness, hot sex, and gargoyles!



I recommend listening to an audiobook by Tremblay.

This will not be my last.


Check out on Dreamspinner Press, Goodreads or Booklikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment