Review: P.S. I Spook You by S.E. Harmon

SSA Rain Christiansen used to be the agency’s golden boy. It just takes one moment of weakness, one slight, tiny, itty-bitty paranormal sighting, and all of a sudden he’s the agency’s embarrassment. His boss gives him one last chance to redeem himself—go down to Brickell Bay, play nice with the local police, and leave the ghost sightings behind. Rain is determined to do exactly that, even if it kills him.

Cold-case detective Daniel McKenna’s latest investigation is going nowhere fast. Five years earlier, high school student Amy Greene went missing after leaving her part-time job and was never seen again. Daniel is glad to finally have the FBI help that his department requested, even if it does come in the form of his ex.

It doesn’t help that Rain is pretty sure he’s falling in love with Danny all over again—if he ever stopped. Add to that the frustration of seeing ghosts at every turn while he works a case that’s stalled in its tracks, and Rain is starting to wonder if second chances and happy endings are just for fairy tales.




5 THIS MUST BECOME A SERIES Hearts!!!


Okay. Rambling Red is going to say a few words about this story and try to keep it short. I hear your snickers… save it.

I absolutely loved this story. I knew when I read the sample on the publisher’s site it was a book for me. Honestly, it vaguely reminded me of a ghost story (ha story, like 10 pages maybe) I attempted to write a few years ago and gave up on and it doesn’t matter because the author outdid mine and turned this story up to 11!

Told from the POV of Special Agent Christansen, we meet Dr. Rainstorm Christansen as he is being pestered by a young man, a ghost, named Ethan as he is on his way to meet his boss. Rain had been on mandatory leave and dealing with a psych evaluation after he tried to pass on information to Ethan’s parents from their dead son. Rain’s boss informs him he is being sent to Brickell Bay, Florida to help the local police department solve a cold case. You think this would be a good thing but Brickell Bay is home for Rain, where his family is and where he left the love of his life with a broken heart.

From the first moment Detective Danny McKenna comes on the page I was in love. From the first exchange between Rain and Danny I was hooked and from their first banter to argument and back to banter I knew this book was going to be an absolute favorite of mine.

I am a huge fan of second chance romances and this book was perfect. Danny and Rain have such history, chemistry, passion and friendship between them that is was easy to see how they were a couple and how well they worked together in every way. I adored that they could flirt and tease even though it was laced with hurt that both men caused one another. Sure, most of the fault belongs to Rain but Danny could have fought for his man. You know?

Goodness but the UST with these two if off the freaking charts hot! I was on edge waiting for them to cross the line either with lust, compassion or anger. I didn’t care really. I just wanted something to happen because the tension was so thick and delicious. Seriously. These two are hot when they are arguing over not drinking sodas and then almost jumping off bridges… yeah. This book… it kinda owns me right now.

So I have a confession. When it comes to romantic mysteries I can find myself skimming parts of the mystery to get to the romance. Don’t judge me and my hopeless romantic heart, the romance is my jam. But with this, the mystery is layered with Rain’s new craft as a medium I was hooked on what happened to Amy Greene, the why and the whodunit. The ghosts were hilarious with how they came at Rain and when he finally accepted that he was a medium and could help, I realized the possibility of this being a kick ass series…it needs to be a series.

Speaking of ghosts, I have to say I was wondering when Rain would tell Danny about Anna but Danny is clear on his decision, even if there wasn’t a rutabaga in sight. So there has to be another book or 10 for that conversation to happen, right?

Oh boy! This was good. I laughed a whole lot because it’s witty and ridiculously funny. I fell in love because this book is heavy on the romance and I sighed a few times with emotional moments between Danny and Rain.

That end left the book wide open for possibilities and I am just going to say it again: THIS. NEEDS. TO BE. A. SERIES. Who do I have to beg, bribe or blow for it to happen???


A review copy was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment