Review: Rain and Whiskey (Stormy Weather #1) by B.A. Tortuga

Stormy Weather: Book One

Galen Frost buys a house and a bait shop in a small Florida town to get away from his life as a semipro football player. When he meets good-time bartender Shane Barton, the heat between them is instant and intense—like the burn of good whiskey.

Galen and Shane don’t have much in common beyond their healthy libidos and their love of a good time, but the intoxicating heat brings them together like rain on the ocean, whipping up a frenzy of weather… good and bad. When trouble blows ashore, they will have to ride out the storm that breaks between them as Galen’s past rears its ugly head.


I’m a big B.A. Tortuga fan. She writes a lot of cowboy and country boy MC’s and I love them like no other. The MC’s in Rain and Whiskey fall into that category in a way and I was curious to get that MC in a different setting. That part of the story worked for me. Galen has a country boy background that translates well to the slower pace of small the town in Florida they live in. Shane is a good time cruiser who lives day to day, tending bar and being happy. The minute the see each other the eye fucking begins and once their dicks get together the full on fucking begins.

Which is great, good on you two, but unfortunately there isn’t much to the story beyond that. They pretty much boned non-stop for 260+ pages. I’m a huge fan of the boning, don’t get me wrong, but I did want more. I didn’t get any of these two that wasn’t fuck centric. And, since I am such a Tortuga fan, I know that’s a thing the author can deliver and I missed it.

There was the “misunderstanding” and quite frankly, Galen was a dick about it all. I didn’t feel like he gave the correct amount of groveling to put their relationship back in balance. I do know there are more books in the series though, so I gotta hope he makes that happen. Shane may be an extremely easy going guy, but I don’t want to see him be a pushover. I got the vibe that he was genuinely a nice person and I wanted more from him from Galen at that point.

Rain and Whiskey could have easily been significantly shorter and given me more fulfillment at the end of it. A little boning time turned into conversation instead would have been great and then ditching the phrases like “Oh, now, that was fine.” And “Oh, yeah. I want.” And “Oh, that was hot” And Oh, hot damn, he loved a challenge.” And, well, you get the idea. “Oh” was used 348 times in a 264 page book. That’s 1.3 Oh’s per page. That’s too many Oh’s. About 345 too many. It got distracting after too long for me.

So, while the execution of this one didn’t really work for me, it’s still a deliciously decadent escape and if you are down for a country boy fuckfest and some sweet tea, then by all means, do it, you won’t be disappointed.

Head over to Dreamspinner Press for more information on Rain and Whiskey.


**a copy of this story was provided for an honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment