Review: Don't Twunk With My Heart (Loving You #2) by Renae Kaye

Kee Smith isn’t sure who he is anymore. He knows who he used to be—the ignored gay son who chose a blue-collar job just because no one expected it, the submissive bottom who enjoyed large, masculine jocks who put him in his place, the sleek, fashionable twink who partied all night. But after his ex-boyfriend hit Kee and called him names, Kee retired from the social scene.

Back after a year’s hiatus, Kee still doesn’t know where he fits. His friends say he’s a twunk—a twink who put on muscle and turned into a hunk—but Kee is searching for somewhere to belong. Instead of going back to his usual type, Kee hooks up with twink Tate Stevens—a fashion-industry professional who works the image hard. It proves to be the best decision he’s ever made, and not just because he’s starting to regain his sexual confidence.

With Tate, Kee can open up about his fears and confusion without ridicule. Tate has his own fears about putting on weight and getting old. It will take work to make a relationship of opposites succeed, but they begin to realize the compromises will be worth it if they can be together.


I liked this more than I thought I would, but maybe that’s because I was expecting the worst. A lot of people have been less than favourable with their reviews so far, and I think that would be largely due to everyone else having read the first book in the series, Loving Jay. Due to that being so successful I think it would be hard to do anything other than compare the two. I haven’t read Loving Jay (I know, don’t shoot me) so I could enjoy this book as a standalone. I really did enjoy this a lot, but I found it's not particularly memorable.

Urgent matter to attend to first!!!! I need to rectify the images on the front cover. The one of Tate (the blonde) isn’t too bad, but what is with the picture of Kee?!?!? Hell NO! so here’s my versions of Kee and Tate.

Kee


Tate


Anyway, this story is very simple and very sweet. We have Kee, who was a twink until his boyfriend hit him and he decided to lose himself in his work, which happens to be steel welding. Due to the very heavy physical work, Kee buffs up and finds himself resisting his submissive side in fear he’ll become another victim.

Kee and Tate meet at a nightclub and hit it off straight away. What starts out as a one-night stand progresses into a loving relationship over the period of months. I actually really liked how realistic this relationship progression was. They spent time together, had great sex, fell in love after a few months and reached a HEA.

There was plenty of sex and it was well written. I for one enjoyed reading them ;-) Okay, a lot of you would probably know I like role-playing scenes by now, yeah? Well this book certainly has a role-playing scene, but unfortunately I must say I didn’t find it sexy at all. However it was most certainly hilarious! I am sure I would be exactly like Kee if I ever did role-playing.

Kee and Tate were both sweet characters, but Jay just stole the show. I can see why people liked Loving Jay, Jay was vibrant and the he made every scene he was in come alive. However this book wasn’t about Jay, and yet he was a large part of the story. Even the epilogue was about him and Liam. It just felt a bit like the author was milking what worked well in the past, when the story should have been mainly about Kee and Tate.

There were also a few storylines that just finished rather suddenly, or were tied up way too neatly. Tate has a supposed “eating disorder” that just disappears... He just starts eating and everything is hunky dorey. Kee’s ex-boyfriend Matt was the absolute most OTT villain I have ever read about (and that's saying something because I have read a lot of OTT books) and once again that whole storyline was cleared up with one very short scene. The book also ended quite abruptly. Nothing was left unfinished per se, the ending just sort of crept up on me.

I think a lot of people will really enjoy this book. It sweet and romantic, it’s a bit silly in places and a bit over the top but overall rather enjoyable.


For more info on, Dreamspinner Press or Goodreads!

1 comment:

  1. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about this one as well, but I think I still may give it a try because it does sound pretty good.

    ReplyDelete