Group Review: The Last Nights of The Frangipani Hotel by Bey Deckard

All James wanted was a little solitude at his favourite resort: bright sunshine overhead, soft, white sand underfoot, and a hammock to read in while the warm breeze rustles through the coconut palms and almond trees. However, when an old acquaintance shows up, and James is obliged to share “his” beach, a profound exchange over a bottle of rum leads to a lust-fuelled encounter in the dark.

Reeling from the intensity of the drunken tryst, James decides to cut his vacation short rather than face what he’s kept hidden under mountains of denial.

However, his escape is thwarted when Rudie, handsome and plainspoken, calls him out on his behaviour and makes him see that life needn’t be spent running away from his desires.

Set at a rundown old resort on a small Caribbean island, The Last Nights of The Frangipani Hotel is a story about letting go of fear and learning that passion and love can be found in the most unexpected of places.



Lorix - 3 Hearts

A short, quick and easy read about discovering oneself in the quiet beauty of the Caribbean. Bey Deckard always writes prose I enjoy, and while this short did not blow me away I did enjoy the story.

I have a feeling that short stories from this author are not my favourite of his writing. Whilst I enjoy them, they don't hold my attention as the wonderful complexity I adore from his longer novels does.

James and Rudie were likeable characters, enjoying the sun and learning about each other, and in James' case himself. A pleasant read, beautifully written, that I enjoyed but wasn't wowed by. I am definitely in the minority so I would say give this a go.


SheReadsALot - 4.5 Hearts
"See, I like pleasing you. I like knowing that my body, my mouth, my hands... my ass can make you feel so good. I like feeling used. I liked it when you came into my room and held me down and fucked me. Like I was just a thing to be used to make you cum. Like your fuck toy."
After reading nearly all of this author's backlist, I've come to notice a few things.

1. It takes me longer to get into his contemporary. The fantasy pirates? I was all in after the first few pages. I mean pirates, hello. And the sci-fi soldiers...well, I love good D/s and a big buy bottoming, so it was a match made in heaven. The Last Nights of Frangipani Hotel didn't start to hook me until 26% and it was a tentative hook at first. But as the story progressed, I really began to enjoy.

2. This author is really, really great at painting a scene and dirty talk. The Caribbean setting was lush and I felt like I was there with actors James and Rudie in their dilapidated hideaway beach resort. The Caribbean is a favorite place of mine, so it's great to revisit in a story. And as for the dirty talk, I mean, look at the starting quote. I think all my quotes I chose from this story are of a sexual nature in some form. Deckard is to blame. (Or thank?)

James is an actor, hidden away from the stress of being rich and famous in a little vacation hut all on his lonesome. When Rudie, a hot younger German actor, encroaches James' peace and solitude with conversation and hot body. They've met before years before and reconnect over shared interests, books and their occupation.

Oh and that pesky mutual attraction that straight, separated James tries to deny.
"You are pitying yourself for something that isn't so serious. It's not like you and I are getting married. I'm only trying to help you see yourself in a different way. But if you don't want my help, I won't give it. Just realize that I'm going to lock my door at night so that you don't accidentally find your cock in my ass again."
The men are virtually secluded, alcohol is consumed...passion can't be denied. *leers*

But it is an awkward start. And things don't automatically fall into place. James is having an identity crisis because he's adamantly straight. Right? James' denial of being attracted to men was funny. GFY can be hit or miss for me. I'm not that caught up in titles but I do enjoy reading a great internal struggle and James does deliver some good moments. And Rudie definitely knew how to rub James the right way.

I found this novella from The Actors' Circle series is slightly more stronger. Maybe because there was more page time between the main characters. I think I got a better sense of James and Rudie as characters, James more so than Rudie. But Rudie was the star of the book for me. I really liked the way the men got close. Would I call this sweet? Eh, maybe? It's light in tone. I think that they had cabin fever/ vacation-itis love going on for the way the insta-love kinda developed. I'd love to see them in the future in the author ever have plans for that but I'm happy with the way it ended too.
"I felt like I had just noticed that I'd been driving with the parking brake on these years."
Another quick, easy and hot read to break in new readers of the author.
Recommended for fans of vacation romances and dirty talk, separate or together.

Sunshine - 4 Hearts


Simple, quiet read, but still lusty :)

I loved Rudie. He had an endearing combination of pragmatic confidence and sweet vulnerability that drew me in. I didn't connect with James as much, but I was sympathetic to his struggles and I liked his response to Rudie. Plus, he had his own moments of sweet vulnerability that appealed to me.

The writing was solid, with a strong sense of place and great atmosphere. Words perfectly chosen to set the mood...very evocative. And while I wanted more story, I was happy with the ending, the excitement of a new beginning.

Side note:
Loved the touches of D/s...more, please :)


For more information on Goodreads or Booklikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment