Fangirl Moment: Review: Dirty Kiss (Cole McGinnis #1) by Rhys Ford

Cole Kenjiro McGinnis, ex-cop and PI, is trying to get over the shooting death of his lover when a supposedly routine investigation lands in his lap. Investigating the apparent suicide of a prominent Korean businessman's son proves to be anything but ordinary, especially when it introduces Cole to the dead man's handsome cousin, Kim Jae-Min.

Jae-Min's cousin had a dirty little secret, the kind that Cole has been familiar with all his life and that Jae-Min is still hiding from his family. The investigation leads Cole from tasteful mansions to seedy lover s trysts to Dirty Kiss, the place where the rich and discreet go to indulge in desires their traditional-minded families would rather know nothing about.

It also leads Cole McGinnis into Jae-Min's arms, and that could be a problem. The death of Jae-Min's cousin is looking less and less like a suicide, and Jae-Min is looking more and more like a target. Cole has already lost one lover to violence he's not about to lose Jae-Min too.




Jenni Lea and the Ebook:

Rarely does a book have the ability to surprise me. It's the reason why I don't really like reading mysteries. I always, ALWAYS figure out whodunit way before I ever finish the book.

This book though, shocked me. Here I was, thinking I was so smart to have figured out the perpetrator when something happened to bring me to a screeching halt.

I was wrong.

I didn't know whodunit! I was left with my mouth hanging open and grasping at straws to try and figure out who else it could be. And when they were finally revealed it was the last person I would have ever suspected.

I liked other aspects of this book as well. I really connected with Cole and his dry, almost self deprecating humor. I liked Jae-Min as well. He's no Miki but I really warmed up to him.

There were a few cringe-worthy descriptions used during the sex scenes but I knew about them prior to reading (I peeked at a few reviews beforehand) so I was able to brush past them fairly easily.
 


Ann and the Audio:

I read this one a long time ago and when I started my Audible account, this was at the top of my list of books to listen too. I had already listened to Sinner's Gin and fell in love with Tristan James. I figured at that point I had hit the pinnacle of audiobooks. Then, I listened to Greg Tremblay as Cole McGinnis. Dammit, that man can read the WORDS. You know how the movie is never as good as the book? Audiobooks can be the same way. Then you see/listen to one that does justice to the words you love and you fall in love with the stories and characters all over again. That's how I felt with Dirty Kiss.

I would imagine this would be a tough story to narrate. It's an intricate story, with lots of characters and a bevy of twists and turns. The things that made it a great story to read could make it a tough story to listen to with the wrong set of pipes. Thank grilled cheezus Rhys Ford's words were paired up with Greg Tremblay's narration. The character voices were all unique and he nailed the moods perfectly making the story easy to follow. I lost all kinds of hours listening to this one, I just couldn't turn it off.

Just a warning, well a couple actually. Be aware of your surroundings when you get to the smexy parts. You don't want to get cockblocked by RL in the middle of a Rhys Ford written sex scene as read by Greg Tremblay. Secondly, be ready to queue up the rest of the series because like all wonderful indulgences, you can't stop at just one.





No comments:

Post a Comment