Review: Ice (Salisbury Stories #2) by Chris Quinton and RJ Scott

With millions in diamonds at stake, can Jon make Greg see that some things are not worth dying for?

Footloose adventurer Greg Drakowski used to live for the moment but these days shadows of grief and guilt cling to him. Recklessly following one lead to the next, Greg crosses oceans at the very hint of treasure, and doesn’t care that he rushes into danger.

This time his quarry is a cache of diamonds, hidden away decades ago. When the clues bring him to the ancient city of Salisbury, he knows he’s close to success.

Renovations expert Jonathan Ellis is part of Ageless Wood Restorations - three generations of knowledge and trade. Focused and hard-working, Jon finds value in recreating the elegance of the past with his own hands, and it will take something - or someone - extraordinary to break into his enclosed world.

When Greg drops into Jon's lap he finds it impossible to refuse him. Even when the bad guy appears and Jon isn't sure whom he can trust, he knows he has to stand by Greg, if only to save the idiot from himself.

I've truly enjoyed both stories in the Salisbury Stories series by this duo, I especially liked the fact that Devon and Lewis are in this, and that the story carries on from where the first one ended, albeit from the perspectives of new characters.

"This was hello and goodbye all wrapped up into one, though he was the only one who knew that."

Jon and Greg's story is fun, sweet and just a little bit adventurous in places! I loved the setting of the book and its historical elements - in fact I wouldn't have minded at all if these bits were even longer, though I understand why they weren't, This is a love story after all, not a delving into history!

Although Greg had the more typically interesting life - thief and con artist, with extraordinary skills repairing timber and an interest in the past - it is actually Jon who caught my interest. The quiet giant of a man who loves his work restoring old woodwork to its former glory intrigued me. His family issues and dedication to his job, partnered with his love of home found a place in my heart all to quickly and I would truly have liked to know even more about him and what made him tick. I loved the interaction between him and Greg, but even more of the story from his point of view would have been a win in my eyes.

The story could have been more in depth, could have been more twisting and turning... but I think it wasn't meant to be. It is a love story first and the rest fits in round that as opposed to vice versa.

The only "issue" (for want of a better word, niggle maybe?) with the story is the age of the characters. Greg was only twenty three, but he felt much older to me. Twenty three just didn't fit him, in my opinion. I felt he was at least late twenties, and Jon, who was twenty nine, felt at least a decade older. Again, to me at least!

It was no surprise to me that a book by these two authors was very easy to read and enjoyable, the writing was as fab as I expected. This story is perfect for a quiet evening, a lazy Sunday or an afternoon in the garden. ReAlly enjoyable and recommended by me!

For more information see Goodreads.
A copy of this book was given on exchange for an honest review.



Don't forget to check out today's giveaway here!

No comments:

Post a Comment