Audiobook Review: Trial By Fire by BA Tortuga

One Aussie. One Texan. One baby. One hell of a fight.

When his sister and her husband are killed in an accident, Aussie cattle station owner Lachlan McCoughney rushes to Texas to rescue their infant daughter, Chloe. He expects to find his niece living in squalor with the Sheffields, a rodeo family.

Instead, Lachlan finds Holden Sheffield, a salt-of-the-earth cowboy running a huge business operation. They want to explore their mutual attraction despite the many problems thrown their way, and together, they must find a way to give Chloe a new family and find a love that spans thousands of acres and two continents.

Listening Length: 5 hrs 36 mins
Narrator: Rusty Topsfield


It's official!


I've popped my audiobook and Dreamspun Desires cherries!



It was a long search for the right narrator that didn't sound so robotic. And if anyone is going to pop my audio cherry, it should be someone memorable. And you can't forget a name like Rusty Topsfield.


I'm going to pretend this is what Rusty looks like except with ginger hair. Dreamboat.

Well, how was a first timer's take on audiobooks? I don't think it'll be something I'll run to listen to a lot. I was hesitant to trying audiobooks, so this was going to be my trial run. A book I didn't read, but had a physical copy in case it bombed.

Verdict: story didn't bomb...just the narration.

This story was flufftastic, over the top and filled with some sexual tension - a good mix for entertainment purposes. I knew ahead of time that I would need to suspend reality while reading.


Baby orphan Chloe has two uncles who want for custody, once they meet sparks fly and they fall in love. I like this guardian/battling in laws fall in love trope. Billionaire Aussie uncle Lachlan learns his sister is dead and gets a surprise when he learns she was married and had a baby. So he travels to Texas to get his niece. But his niece already has a guardian, her dead father's fraternal twin Holden. The two square off and argued, said a lot of "good deals" and angry flirted. But then a kidnapping happens by a group of the sloppiest kidnappers ever. Just horrible. An ensemble cast with big personalities get together to find the kidnapped baby, which gets solved fairly quickly...because sloppy. There was even a murder added on top of the men fighting and sexing.

And more importantly instalove.

But for this brand, it's to be expected, so no complaints here.

I think I can separate the story from the narrator...mostly. Because though Rusty, my audiobook de-virginizer, was memorable...Rusty got lazier as the story progressed especially with the accents. Hoo boy, Rusty's Texan accent was okay-ish? But he tended to mix in a lot of the Texan "good deal" with Aussie Lachlan. Rusty was reading from the text, I get it it. But the accents didn't have much distinction after a while and when more Aussies and Texans came in?



Oh those were horrible!The Australian accents sounds like a Brit/Martian/Southern person implanted a garbage disposal inside their throat.

What in the world was that?

It was distracting as hell and made me laugh for all the wrong reasons. Then I'd have to replay the damn scene to figure out what the hell was said. Like when one of the main men's dad said "I'm pooped", but the accent made it sound like I've pooped.

So there I am wondering why his father took a dump when there was custody battling going on and a baby missing. Couldn't he have excused himself to the bathroom without announcing?

Anyway, the story has a lot of action in between the fluff and over the top-ness.

The story is probably about 3.5-3.75 Hearts.
The Narration...is about 2 Hearts.

I'll audiobook again.


Whatever.


Check out on:

Dreamspinner Press

Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. PEARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good deal indeed! >:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything looks better with a little Pearl added to it. :D

      Delete