Review: Unshackled by Cara Dee

Unshackled spares no one, and along the way, you’ll get everything from high-speed car chases, secret meetings in the dark, and the rawest hours of grief, to strong family ties, humor, and unconditional love.

In the wake of the bloodiest war the Sons of Munster had seen in a long time, we were supposed to celebrate our victory and move on with our lives. I wanted to see my brothers-in-arms dance and drink way too much. I wanted to hear laughter and Irish music. Instead, we were a syndicate crushed by grief.

Shannon O’Shea had lost more than most, and every fiber of my being screamed at me to pull him from the depths of his despair. As the father of my best friend, he’d been there for me when my parents kicked me out for being gay. Now it was my turn. I had to find the answers. I had to rescue him.

The day he asked for a favor and demanded discretion, the plan unfolded before my eyes, and I couldn’t resist the temptation. No names, no faces. He wouldn’t know it was me in the darkness. At the same time, the shackles around my wrists tightened as old enemies slithered back out of the gutters of my city, and my brothers and I were once again on the warpath.

 

It’s been a while since I read a Cara Dee novel but I’m glad I picked this one up, even though I haven’t read any of the previous novels in this series. It was pretty easy to follow and I believe it to be a Standalone as advertised.

I didn’t particularly fall in love with the Irish Mafia part of this story, but I did fall in love with Shannon and Kellan. If they were just two regular men who experienced tragedy together without all the added organised crime melodrama I wouldn’t have noticed the difference. I was completely here for the slow burn of this romance. I don’t usually enjoy this level of slow, but the burn was completely worth the wait.

Told entirely from Kellan’s point of view, I felt his helplessness when trying to be there for a lost and shattered Shannon, but it was enough distance for me not to fall into a depression fog, as I tend to do with this kind of story. I don’t know if it’s my age, or just where I am in life, but I can do a book full of physical torture, but heart pain and grief always knocks me around. This one I just enjoyed the hurt/comfort element of their connection, and the eventual romance building.

The Daddykink was hawt and even though the CW says age-play I’m going to say it is not. Certainly not like this author’s other age-play stories.



Overall a satisfying read from Cara Dee that I would recommend to those who enjoy Hurt/Comfort, slow burn romance and Mafia Romance.

A review copy was provided for an honest opinion.






No comments:

Post a Comment