Review: Cherish (The Valespian Pact #4) by Lexi Ander

Saving a life can change the course of history.

Destin is torn away from his chicks and his bonded when the Terrens invade Aries 7. Experimented on in Terren labs, and made to work their mines, the GyrFalconi struggle to survive. Destin becomes their caretaker, endeavoring to save as many as possible, despite the emotional toll. Amidst the battle for survival, the universe shines on him and he bonds with not one but four people who give him a reason to keep fighting. When Valespia sends its Legions to the GyrFalconi’s aid, Destin and his bonded are eventually freed, only to face new cruelties from their own people.

Freedom comes with its own trials, though, as a divide forms in GyrFalconi society between the winged and the wingless. Destin and his bonded are given a chance at true happiness and they keep what they claim, no matter what.

 


I have a tendency to come into a series late in the game and this is no exception. This is book 4 of Valespian Pact and the author’s note says this story takes us back in time and provides some historical context through survivor stories.

I’m glad I picked this up and ignored the fact that it said Book 4. Sometimes I will pass on books that go backwards or that are too far into a series, but this one, I’m glad I just went for it.

This story is really rich in world building and the world is fascinating. I used to say I wasn’t into sci-fi but it seems that I just hadn’t found the sci-fi I enjoyed. This is definitely for me. Interesting sentient beings are my thing. I found the next series I plan on sinking into.

The characters were engaging and I loved reading all about their journey. It was tough at times, and spans 20+ years, but it didn’t drag for me. Each POV was important to move the story along while keeping me drawn to where it was leading. I loved it.

I am team GyrFalconi all the way, even though I still don’t know how to pronounce it. I’ll keep trying to figure it out when I go back and start at Book 1 so I can catch up on “Where are they now” part of this Galactic adventure series.

I would definitely recommend this to sci-fi readers, or any readers really. Maybe start with book 1 though… and if you’re looking for sex, you won’t find it here, but you will find deeply fulfilling romantic connections and friendships, and some super cute GyrFalconi chicks.



A review copy was provided for an honest opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment