Review: The Art of Possession by Cari Z.

When a treasure-hunting black ops soldier and a disgraced, reckless archeologist team up in search of a priceless artifact, they might get more than they bargained for.

Ever since leaving the Green Berets to work in private security, Alex Tucker has longed for some excitement—and he’s about to get his wish.

Archeologist Malcolm Armstrong needs the chance to prove he isn’t a fraud. Along with Alex, he’s hired to track down and authenticate a valuable scepter, in a hunt that turns deadlier than either of them imagined as they search dangerous locations across three continents and try to stay ahead of the factions who want the treasure for themselves—and Malcolm and Alex dead.

Just as they realize the feelings between them transcend convenience and the thrill of the chase, a rival reemerges, threatening everything.


Wow. This went down super nice and easy, and I had quite the fantastic time.


It felt like Ms. Z looked into my psyche and produced a story just how I like it.


First off, any sort of military/black ops situation always floats my boat. When you cross it with a nerdy component whether it be a librarian or a professor or in this case, an expert in ancient artifacts, this was definitely a no brainer for me, and I dug in wholeheartedly.


What makes this a standout is that it read like a movie script. I could see the scenes, the actiony bits, the character development - all like I was watching it unfold on the big screen and it kept me rapt.


So yes, ex Green Beret Alex, has been hired to track down a priceless artifact with unknown but out of this world value. He’s paired up with disgraced museum curator Malcolm, who’s the only one that can reasonably identity if said artifact is truly the real McCoy. Reputations and notoriety are on the line and soon they both figure out, their very lives.


Easily Malcolm, who’s never seen a gun up close nor been in any sort of dangerous situation, could have oh so devolved into a simpering annoyance but didn’t ever act crazily over the top. He knew he was out of his element, and he was smart about it. In turn, Alex, though gruff and tough, wasn’t a total asshat that alpha types like him can be. He adapted quickly and wasn’t invincible. Though their attraction is immediate, being exact opposites never spurred Malcolm and Alex to hate each other on principle, and their progression took its time despite me always wanting to rush things to get to the good parts, but sometimes patience is a virtue, right?


Throw in some banter, some tense moments, a kick ass female adversary, an atrocious ex, and some very nice UST that the author always teases with plenty of yummy but never gives me quite enough. That’s not really a complaint because everything else more than made up for my desire for the dirty deets, and this never let my attention wane.


Though I haven’t read much from Ms. Z (which I hope to rectify soon) I’ve not come away disappointed yet. One thing I know for certain is that she’s left me wanting sequels galore again, and I can only hope for the best!



No comments:

Post a Comment