Review: Larry Boots, Exterminator by John Inman

Kenny Long is living a new life. Blinded in an accident, he has taken control of his unexpected reality the best way he can, and it’s working out better than he hoped.

Of course Larry Boots doesn’t know any of that. All he sees is a beautiful man sitting on a park bench.

Larry has a few problems of his own: his mother. His job. The lack of romance in his life.

His job. In the course of that job, Larry strikes up a friendship with Kenny. The next thing he knows, he’s so head-over-heels in love, even his mother doesn’t seem so bad. Of course his career is still a problem, but he’s working on that. Hopefully he’ll have the problem resolved before the man he’s being paid to murder succeeds in murdering him first.

And before the man he loves finds out he’s a cold-blooded killer.


This John Inman mashup was such a treat. Any Inman-phile knows he writes 5 heart books in a multitude of genres and Larry Boots, Exterminator brings together two of my favorites, sweet, sweet romance and horror. It really doesn’t get much better than that for me.

I wasn’t sure how this was all going to come together, the dichotomous paths the author wanted to bring together (based on the blurb), merging them sounded like an awkward impossibility. But of course, it wasn’t and the two pieces melded together perfectly.

Larry is an assassin (don’t call him that, he hates it), but he’s dedicated his life to delivering justice to those who were let down by the system. He’s living to avenge others in his twin brothers name. His brother was the victim of a violent crime and in his “honor” he’s turned into a vigilante. He’s a good bad guy though, he’s likable and sympathetic. He loves his crazy mama and his two dogs, he falls in love with Kenny.

Kenny is a teacher at the blind center in San Diego. He lost his sight in an accident a few years prior and has since relearned how to live his life and support himself. He’s such a sweet man wearing his little sweater vests and bowties, I couldn’t help but fall for him myself as Larry described him and got to know him.

They have a very interesting meet-cute in the park one day. Kenny is there to sit in the sunshine on a park bench and enjoy his lunch. Larry is up in a tree scouting out his next mark. Larry climbs down from said tree and the two strike up a slightly flirtatious exchange. If you didn’t know what Larry did for a living, it would just seem like a set up to a love story that I wanted to read. But, and this is a big but, Larry kills people for a living and there’s really no way to just kind of forget that’s a thing.

Told from Larry’s point of view, he was either practicing his chosen profession or falling in love with Kenny.When Larry was with Kenny I was completely wrapped up in that part of the story. Then the page would flip and Larry would be back to work. Larry’s clients and their stories were truly heartbreaking, so there was a gamut of emotions to run throughout the book. The warm fuzzies with Kenny and the frustrating hopelessness of the families put the reader through the wringer. The author brought the two pieces of the story so well, he really made them mesh in a way that made me buy into every nuance of it.

And then 80% happened. Up until this point Larry’s work and his personal life were pretty well separated, never the twain shall meet. Larry’s lastest mark makes him uncomfortable, he seems to have put his eye on Larry, but Larry can’t be sure. Does he think that because he’s falling in love and finally has someone else to worry about or is this guy really wise to him? Insert tension here.

At 80% Larry is off to do his job, leaving Kenny home alone. That’s all I’m going to say because I want you to ride the tension wave like I did. I loved and hated every bit of the last 20%. The author is a master of the last 20%. He gets me every time and this time it was a little different. I was in romance mode, I was in love with Larry and Kenny’s love, but Larry’s pesky job was hanging over their heads and the resolution was coming. In romance mode, and in the author’s purely romantic books I would just be wallowing in the love pollen. However, Larry Boots, Exterminator has a horror element that won’t be denied so I honestly wasn’t sure how this would play out. I mean, I know what I wanted, but that doesn’t mean I was going to get it.

Larry Boots, Exterminator has so many great pieces that come together beautifully. While I loved the tension and Larry’s work life. His personality, his relationship with his mom, his reasonings, they all made for a fascinating character. But his relationship with Kenny was pure gold. The two of them together were simply lovely in their intimate moments, and not just the tingly, sticky bits, I mean the conversations and declarations between the two. Yes, Kenny was blind and vulnerable to an extent because of his circumstances, but he was also strong and fiercely independent. I loved how fully fleshed out his character was and how well he and Larry complemented one another.

Larry Boots has a permanent spot on my reread shelf. I know I’ll want to visit Larry and Kenny again.



**a copy of this story was provided for an honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment