Review: Denying Fate (A Series of Fate #1) by C.C. Dado

Fate is a funny thing. Some try to cut its threads, while others wrap themselves in it like a blanket.

Young wolf shifter Max is cocky and crass. Unlike others his age, he has yet to discover a talent that will serve his pack. Since childhood, he’s been convinced the pack alpha is his mate, but Alpha Christian cannot envision unfiltered and directionless Max taking the place of his elegant mother at the head of the pack. As Max begins to build a life with his best friend, he also begins to see that maybe what he thought was inevitable was all in his head, and it’s time to move on.

Or are they both denying fate?









This was cute, short and perfectly fluffy. I love shifter books like this that focus on the couple and not all the pack politics usually involved. Also, this has fated mates and an omega so that’s always a plus too.

I will say right off the back this was told in an unusual and actually confusing way in the beginning. The story is about Max and his fated mate/Alpha Christian BUT we get the POV’s of Max and Max’s BFF Seth. I don’t know why Seth got a POV and Christian didn’t. Seth is important to Max and to the storyline but I would have rather got only Max’s POV or his and Christian’s. It was odd to have Seth start the book off, get a few pages in his POV and then just fade away. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Seth – his book is actually why I picked this one up – but I could have done without getting his POV in this book.

But anyway.

This was a fun read. I loved that Max has known since he was five that his Alpha Max is his mate but I was frustrated along with Max that Christian wouldn’t acknowledge him as such. Max is young and Max is a bit naïve about things, but Max is always honest and a comfort to those who know him. He knows that Christian is his ,so he goes about doing things to provoke Christian into admitting they are mates, even if it doesn’t always get the right reaction. It’s beyond obvious that Christian knows Max is his mate, with how he takes care of him, how he looks at him and how he’ll do everything in his power to protect Max. But Christian thinks Max needs to be more to take the place of his late mother, the omega.

Speaking of omegas. There is a bit in here about each wolf getting a talent that will serve their pack. Seth realizes his through this book, but it took a bit for everyone to realize what Max’s talent was; though Christian’s mother and the pack elders knew all along. Even Christian knew in his heart, it just took the chance of losing what he wouldn’t claim as his to take an honest look at Max.

Max and Christian have great chemistry. You feel it the moment they are on the page together and I got a kick out of how they flirt with one another. I think it was honorable and chivalrous that Christian gave a self-imposed penance to himself for how he treated Max and it was all worth it in the scene with their first kiss. That first kiss had so much meaning beyond the meeting of their mouths and it just melted me.

This was a short story that made me smile before bed. I really enjoyed Max and Christian and Seth as well. As I said before, it was Seth’s book that made me go back and read this so now I need to know all about the shenanigans Seth and Max get into so Seth can get an HEA too.

Side Note: for those who need on page sex; there isn’t any here. But it worked for the story.


An ARC was provided by the publisher.


No comments:

Post a Comment