Review: The Vampire's Protege by Damian Serbu

A sinister vampire offers Charon a choice he can’t refuse: play a deadly game of winner takes all, losers die.

Charon relishes the competition and molds himself into a sexy vampire who defies vampire law, savoring his power and embracing the role of villain. He also loves surrounding himself with hot young men. But when an alluring vampire stalks him and threatens to turn him into the Vampire Council unless he helps with a seemingly impossible task, will Charon risk his perfectly narcissistic life on the challenge? Does he have any other choice?








The beginning of this story was actually quite engaging. Charon is a bit of a prick, and I love me a good anti-hero. His capture and the testing he went through was fun. I thought there was going to be a whole lot more of that challenging complex mystery and then the ultimate reward of a new life, but unfortunately, once that part was over, and Charon was on his own, I found the story fell down for me.

After the first few chapters of Charon causing mayhem, and the fun of him building his harem, I lost interest in him as a character and the story in general. I didn’t care about him anymore, and that is a shame. I love anti-heroes. A lot. I also enjoy complex characters, masterful world building and a twisted plot. This had decent world building, some twists and turns, but nothing that really hooked me and made me read straight through. I started putting this down, and having longer and longer breaks between picking it up again. That never bodes well for me.

I think it was just too much. I would have thought a harem of men would be sexy, but to be honest, it seemed more like a frat house on a B-grade College movie with a nothing-doing atmosphere. He set up this entire underground castle, and the final outcome was boring (even to Charon).

Charon as a character lost his lustre along the way. He was a bit flat and one dimensional. I felt like his entire personality was revealed in the first 50 pages, and there was not much more to expand on.

I’m not sure if the story was actually too long or it just felt that way. It is longer than a lot of other stories in this genre, at almost 400 pages, but it felt longer and more drawn out. There were a lot of slow parts, and while I don’t mind slow in certain scenarios, it didn’t work for me here.

I wouldn’t be able to recommend this story, but others have enjoyed it, so maybe check other reviews before deciding on whether this is the story for you.

A review copy was provided for an honest opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment