Guest Review: Something in the Way He Needs (Family, #1) Audiobook by Cardeno C.

Police captain Asher Penaz’s staunch professionalism bleeds into his home life, down to his neatly pressed attire and spartan apartment. He enjoys being the man in charge, and leather bars satisfy his need for dominance—so his sudden and powerful attraction to the lighthearted, free-spirited Daniel Tover throws him for a loop. In his entire life, Daniel has never gotten what he needs, so he moves to the next place, the next job, the next attempt to find something worth staying for, always landing at the top of his game, but never feeling like he belongs.

The chemistry between Asher and Daniel sizzles, so Asher invites Daniel home. As both men struggle to learn themselves while getting to know each other, the lines of desire and control blur. With all that fire comes the risk of getting burned. But if Daniel and Asher can walk through the flames together, they might find what they desperately need.


Narrated by Ezekiel Robison
Length: 7 hrs and 6 mins


Guest Reviewer: Fantasy Living

I gotta say, I’m super excited to be a guest reviewer on Boy Meets Boy Reviews. It was difficult to keep my squee inside, when I was asked, but I managed, barely. It left me red-faced and sweaty (did I write that out loud?) . I mean how could I not be excited when UNICORNS invited me to their tea party?! So thank you to the team for asking me along, and being super warm and welcoming.

Okay, I’ll get to the review now….. (plays with Unicorn Name Generator)... okay, I’m serious this time.

Ash is in Las Vegas for his best friend, Oliver’s, Bachelor party when he spies a hot piece of clumsy twink trying to not be so clumsy and awkward. For reasons I haven’t fully understood, Ash follows said twink onto a tour bus and starts chatting him up. After some very awkward and hot almost-touches, Ash saves this clumsy man from almost toppling over the side rail of the roof level of said bus…. Cue the corny line about debts for lives saved etc. etc.

After they safely disembark from that journey, Ash meets back up with his buddy, trying to figure out how he can get this stranger to hang around him for longer. That’s when this guy is introduced as the Groom’s brother, Daniel. Thus starts the weird and wonderful almost-relationship between the brutally honest, always in control Cop, Asher, and the clumsy, free-spirited (*cough* flakey *cough*), doesn’t have a care in the world, is-hiding-things-but-not-in-an-obvious-way, Daniel.

I’m going to start with the Narrator, Ezekiel Robison. He was great, and I would listen to him narrate all the audiobooks. His voice range worked well with the cast of characters. Doing drunk voices never works for me, so it was a little painful listening to Chapter 1 because the intro is in a strip-club with drunk Oliver, but I worked through it, and was placated with the rest of the chapter not told in imitation-drunk slur. I guess you have to BE drunk to find drunk-speak endearing in any way (or in my case, too busy dancing and ignoring everyone that I can’t hear it, so it doesn’t matter). But it wasn’t over the top, so that was enough to keep me going.

I loved Ezekiel’s voice and personality adaptation for Daniel, and Oliver’s fiancĂ©, Shirley. Although Shirley doesn’t have much of a role in the story, I loved the spot she did have, because her personality was in full view with the way Ezekiel narrated. Ezekiel kept me in this story, even when I was not really happy with the content. It’s hard to ignore a man with a sexy voice, dirty talking in your ear. Even if I have to wait a little while, I’m not going to stop him from continuing.

So the story ….

It worked well until it didn’t. I found myself starting to think Ash was a big narcissist. That is not sexy to me. I like my characters to grow, and it was so slow for him that I was about ready to give up. Only the Narrator and Daniel’s secret was the reason I kept going. Ash came off as confident and self-possessed in the beginning but I found over time, he became overly paranoid and really insecure. It was strange, and I didn’t like it. I felt there could have been less angst, but enough drama to keep the story going, without Ash taking a personality back-slide into psycho.

Some of the content I would consider emotional abuse, and for a ‘sweet’ romance, there is no room for that. I wanted Daniel to leave and find someone worthy. That being said, Asher could have been a strong character, and if there was a follow up, where his emotional journey was in full swing, I would definitely read it. As much as I think he is a pompous arse, I think he is redeemable and could become someone truly likable on his own merit.

Some readers have tagged this story as BDSM. No. It is not. There is a light spanking scene but that is it. It is something that is sidestepped and it is known that while Daniel might try some kink for Ash, he is not into that (well he does get into a ‘gentle’ spanking but that is it). This would be considered sugarkink to me, which is why I’ve tagged it a little bit kinky. While Asher may call himself a Dom (*cough* bullshit *cough*) this book is not about any D/s exchange, nor is it about Daniel finding submission. Ash’s past dealings with a Leather bar (off page) does not a BDSM book make.

With all the problems I had with this story, I would still listen to this again. It was memorable, and likable enough to be a fall back book. Something familiar to wile away some hours if I needed it. Did I mention Ezekiel dirty talks to me? Hawt. I have every intention of checking out the next book. The author writes well and it really is all about Asher personality that took away from this story for me.

So that’s me for this special guest spot on BMBR. Thanks for having me Unicorns, let’s do it again sometime.

Fantasy Living



For more information on Goodreads or Booklikes!

3 comments:

  1. You're sweet to say all the things & we're stoked to have tea with you. I must warn you though it's spiked. >:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. *drinks tea anyway* As long as you call me a cab when I fall down, s'all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be silly! You'll ride a unicorn home. Cab schmab.

      Delete