Review: Rabbit Season (Lost Shifters #2) by Megan Derr

Sidney has quietly loved twin brothers Brook and Colby for years, watching and pining as they came to his house for the summer every year. Painfully aware that they have each other, have no reason to notice the unremarkable duck they grew up babysitting.

Then the twins and their mother are attacked days before an important meeting that will change the shifter world forever. When the twins come to stay with Sidney's family until the attackers are caught, Sidney learns that all things have their season, and even violent protests will not keep two rabbits from the man for whom they've been patiently waiting…

Warning: Story contains incest.







Let’s talk about bunny brocest and menages shall we?

Turns out, I’m a fan.

Now those things can be deal breakers for some, but I have to say, in this story, neither thing was that big of a deal, so don’t let either tag turn your away. Besides, you know how it is in shifter-ville stories. RL rules do not apply and bros can boink like bunnies and also find a duck to fuck.

When I picked up this one up to review and realized it was second in the series I quick bought and read Backwoods Asylum. I really liked that one too. I wouldn’t say you have to read it first, but it certainly helped. There is a lot going on in the second book about pack politics and you’ll want the background that you get in book 1. One thing about Backwoods is that the politics was more focused while in the second it was more overall pack business. I found it to be a little much for a shorter story. It felt like the pack dynamic drama overshadowed the relationship a bit as the story was trying to tell me a lot of things in a little space. I would have liked it to be a little longer with more relationship centered scenes.

Brook and Colby, the twin brothers, were great, likable characters. They had distinct personalities that really complemented each other. Colby was mouthy with an attitude and a heart of gold while Brook had a quiet strength and dominance to him that was pretty swoony. The fact that they were brothers was totally fine by me. They didn’t make a huge production out of it, it just was and they owned it which is why I think I liked it so much. Plus, they’re rabbits and it’s not completely out of the realm of rabbit shifter relationships apparently. So, all good.

During a particular badass Colby moment he says:

If you ever come near any of us again, for any reason at all, I’ll slit your fucking throat. I’m a nasty incestuous rabbit. You should better appreciate that means most rules mean jack shit to me.


I liked that.

Sidney the duck was also really likable. He didn’t have the natural confidence that Brook and Colby had, but he had snark and attitude which I’m always a fan of. He was protected pretty fiercely by his dads and that made him seem more immature than the other two to me. I didn’t quite feel his deeper love for Brook and Colby at least not as much as I wanted to. I think that’s why I needed a few extra scenes with just the three of them developing a relationship so that I could completely buy into Sidney loving these two for life.

The Lost Shifters series is really the kind of shifter stories I like. They are unique (not everyone is a wolf!), snarky and sweet. I’ll definitely be reading the next in the series.


For more info on Rabbit Season (Lost Shifters #2) check it out over at Goodreads.


**a copy of this story was provided for an honest review**

1 comment:

  1. Taking your advice about reading book 1 first, off to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete