Author Visit: Rhys Ford & The Devil's Brew



So today is a release day. The Devil’s Brew. A novella. Which are banes of existence because there’s no room. No room for murders… not the kind I like and oh, no room for really long sex scenes but to be fair, writing sex scenes always is shaky for me because I want them to be good. Nothing says meh like a Tab A Slot B scene.

Really. It’s supposed to be intimacy. Not building an IKEA futon bed.

Now the fun thing with The Devil’s Brew? I already had the characters and was building on a foundation I’d laid out over the course of a couple of books AND it was going to be a lead in for Tequila Mockingbird, the third Sinners book.

But what was even better? I could really just relax and enjoy the relationships. It was like a mini vacation. Okay, maybe not for Miki since I had him ratcheted up to high stress but for the whole story, I could explore some things I didn’t have time for in the books … because it would have bogged down those stories.

You see, sometimes the sweet and loving stuff has to be sacrificed for the bloodbaths. Hate to say it. But it does. One can’t make mushroom pizza without poisoning a few Borgias along the way.

Or so I imagine. I’ve never met a mushroom I didn’t like so chances are, I’d be sadly disappointed if one decided to turn on me and go all Scarface on my ass. It would be a sad sad day indeed.

Nothing says betrayal like a deleterious fungus.

Really. They’re like stealth serpents in the gardens. Fucking things.

Well, none of those in the novella. Instead, I got to show Miki’s point of view on everything from holidays to jewelry stores and fathers. Which was such a surprise. He’s got more issues than I’d thought and well, apparently he swears a hell of a lot too because even my beta readers were all… um dude, wow. It’s like an F-nuclear explosion in here.

I am not sorry. No regrets.

Because point of view on this was so key. Miki is the only one whose thoughts you see, although the story is in third person. And I could balance a bit of the uncertainty with his fierceness. Because yes, the boy is no one’s victim… unless perhaps his own.

Kane’s there to show him the way out of that darkness. Consider this a peek into the fifth book—the one coming up about Miki’s search for peace from his past but oh, it will be a past that comes and bites him on the butt.

Much like those fucking mushrooms §


ANNOUNCING: 

The Devil’s Brew by Rhys Ford (Book 2.5 in the Sinners Series)

Miki St. John’s life has been turned upside down but it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to him.

His best friend, Damien Mitchell, is back from the dead. He has a dog named Dude. And more importantly, he and his lover, SFPD Inspector Kane Morgan, now share Miki’s converted warehouse.

For the first time ever, Miki’s living a happy and normal-ish life but when Valentine’s Day rolls around, Miki realizes he knows next to nothing about being domestic or domesticated. Nothing about the traditional lover’s holiday makes sense to him but Miki wants to give Kane a Valentine’s Day the man will never forget.

Can he pull off a day of wine and roses? Or will his screwed up childhood come back and bite Miki in the ass?

Again.

Rhys Ford’s The Devil’s Brew is now available at Dreamspinner Press and Amazon.


About Rhys Ford
Rhys admits to sharing the house with three cats of varying degrees of black fur, a black Pomeranian puffball and a ginger cairn terrorist. Rhys is also enslaved to the upkeep a 1979 Pontiac Firebird, a Toshiba laptop, and an overworked red coffee maker.

My Blog: www.rhysford.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rhys.ford.author
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhys_Ford

And at the Starbucks down the street. No really, they’re 24/7. And a drive-thru. It’s like heaven.

My books can be purchased, folded and first chapters read at Dreamspinner Press. http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com

2 comments:

  1. TEASE......I can't say it enough. You are a wonder Rhys. ...but a bloody tease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just whetted the appetite for more, Rhys.
    Ready when you are. :-)
    Whitley

    ReplyDelete