Sunday Funday with the Chicago Gay Hockey Association

I am a huge hockey fan, LA Kings specifically. Like in a ridiculous sort of way. The only things I watch on TV are pregames, games and postgame shows. I have an NHL GameCenter Live subscription and watch the draft for fun. I've got one jersey that I've had longer than my husband, plus one to wear for when we need offense and one to wear when we need defense as we hockey loving folk are very superstitious. I can weigh in heavily on the current discussions about what, if any, changes to make to the overtime rules. Just FYI, they should go to a 4 on 4 for the 5 minute OT, keep the shootout and leave the points as they are.

Now, given the large amount of hockey fanfic out there you would think I would be REALLY well versed in it. For the most part I just can’t do it. I think I’m way too invested in the reality to be able to enjoy the fiction. I pick apart every little thing in the most unfair manner so I’ve found it’s best just to leave it be. I think it would be like reading fanfic about a family member. Just kinda, ewwww, you know?

Thankfully, there is some amazing reality in hockey to give me my MM fix while still allowing me to keep the game as is.

For instance, did you know the NHL, along with the NHLPA (the players association) was the first major sports organization to create a formal partnership with the You Can Play Project?

"The NHL sets the standard for professional sports when it comes to LGBT outreach and we are incredibly grateful for their help and support," said Philadelphia Flyers scout Patrick Burke, the founder of the You Can Play Project, an advocacy organization that fights homophobia in sports. "We will work with League and NHLPA officials, teams and players to ensure that we create a more inclusive hockey community at all levels."

You can (and should) read more about it here.

Did you also know the Chicago Gay Hockey Association has made the most amazing video to wish YOU a Merry Christmas. A very sincere thank you to my very dear friend Don over at GR for sending this video to me. As you take a few minutes to watch the fun, please take special note of a few things; the beautiful beards some of these guys are sporting, that some of these cats really can sing, the amazing amount of fun the players are having, but most importantly the message, put aside your differences and take time to laugh and love. ENJOY!!!!


2 comments:

  1. That was awesome. Funny and adorbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You just want to tackle hug ALL of them and their beards don't you??

      Delete