Review: The Devil Will Do by Heidi Cullinan

In a land unforgiving of indulgent, dangerous sex, merchantman Eryn does his best to keep his desires in the dark…until the plight of a beautiful prince leads him out of the shadows and into adventures both sensual and terrible.

Capture, curse, and torture litter Eryn’s road to true love, along with carnal delights beyond his most wicked imaginings. His strengths and limitations are exposed—and the hard truth, that nothing holds him back more than the monster of self-loathing in his heart. Prince Wyn might be everything he’s dreamed of in a man—and master—but before Eryn can accept the exquisitely wicked affections of his one true love, he must first save himself…from himself.

This novella was originally published under the title Sweet Son and has been significantly revised.

If you're familiar with me you know I love HC. I dubbed her Queen Shit of Fuck Mountain. That being said, I didn't think HC had it in her to be this depraved. As depraved as it is it ironically retains the fairy tale feel throughout. A feat and proof positive that my devotion to her is well placed.

Were HC an actor she'd be one of those that needs no first name-Hoffman, De Niro, Streep. They've earned that rarified last name only air by their diversity and transformative capabilities. They fully immerse themselves into the characters they portray and choose roles that stymie pigeonholing. I don't love everything they put out nor have a read HC's complete backlist, but I respect their abilities regardless. True, HC writes exclusively M/M but she's not bound to any particular sub-genre. The Devil Will Do is further verification of that.




The Devil Will Do is a re-imagining of Snow White minus the dwarves with a poignant undercurrent. Eryn is cast as the prince. Wyn as Snow White. In this retelling Eryn must prove himself worthy to be consort to the future king of the Northern Isles. Eryn goes on a journey of self-discovery that includes debasement, humiliation, gang bangs, exhibitionism, enslavement, torture, demons, witches and ends with true love of himself and his Prince. 


"This is my throat I fuck. I have bought you, and you are mine. This is all you are now. Whatever I tell you to do. To be."

It feels odd to say I had a goofy grin on my face while reading a story with all those tags but I did. Not the entire time because it wouldn't have been as satisfying if Eryn's path had been an easy one. Eryn struggles mightily with feelings of unworthiness and self-loathing for his deviant desires, but his desire to save Wyn motivates him to at least try to overcome those feelings. His master pushes at those boundaries, always with the endgame of both preparing him to be worthy of his true love as well as the obstacles that will face him along the way.

Some of those obstacles are harrowing but most of the torture happens off the page, if you're squeamish. And remember this is a fairy tale and they always end happily and usually have some cute animals too. Snow fulfilled that quota. Snow is an imperious white stallion who seems to understand Eryn and is no ordinary stallion. I'll say no more, though.

The Devil Will Do is a delightful read brimming with love, overcoming adversity and self-acceptance. Another favorite of mine from HC.

I only thought she'd earned the moniker Queen Shit of Fuck Mountain before but now… 


His holes were full. He was a hole, accepting. Taking. Enduring. Loving. Oh, he loved every moment of this.

Yep. It's official now.

Recommend to fans of depraved fairy tales? Whomever you may be. 

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Find out more on Goodreads.

6 comments:

  1. Oh me me me!!! I am!! *jumps up and down*

    ReplyDelete
  2. In no way am I depraved, however, purely in the interest of science, I will self torture myself and endure the reading of this tale of depravity. It's a hard life at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intense but tantalizing!

    Trix, vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete