Review: Coyote's Creed (Broken Mirrors #1) by Vaughn R. Demont

Always have an ace up your sleeve.

Broken Mirrors, Book 1


If con games were taught in high school, Spencer Crain would be on the honor roll. As it is, he’ll be riding the edge of failure to graduation next month. Then Spence gets the news that his long-gone father is not only dead, but was a Coyote, one of three clans of tricksters in the City.

With a near-catatonic mother on his hands, Spence couldn’t care less about the Coyotes’ ongoing feud with the Phouka and the Kitsune—until it lands on his doorstep. Suddenly he’s thrown headfirst into a dangerous world he knows next-to-nothing about. His only guide is Rourke, dashing King of the Phouka, plus a growing pack of half-siblings, a god, and Fate herself.

As Spence embarks on a journey to learn the Coyote’s creed, the truth about his heritage, and how to handle his growing attraction to Rourke, he wonders when his life turned from TV sitcom to real-life danger zone. And what price must he pay to survive the next roll of the dice…






FUN! 

And surprisingly super hot. I don't know why it was surprising, I guess I just wasn't expecting a UF to be so sexy. And, damn, it was. BONUS!

OMG. I love being inside of Spencer's head. I could live there for a long, long time.
"I tend to prepare for the unexpected by using television tropes as guidelines"
His inner thoughts were just as funny, witty and refreshing as the dialogue. His trickster smarts and constant TV references as a real-life guide, make for an all time favorite character. Highly likeable and highly entertaining.

When Spencer learns of his father's death he's thrust into this world of tricksters.  Their family friend, Rourke, a Phouka, is the one to break the news that Spencer is a Coyote and then guides Spencer into this new world he's now become a part of.
"'Is this a big joke, Rourke? 'Cause I'll try not to be mad if it is. I mean, you're the one who convinced me to do this, you drove me here, and all of it was because I was too distracted by your chest hair.'"
Again, Spencer's narrative voice is awesome. So there is an obvious attraction between Spencer and Roarke. There is a huge age gap. Huge! So... why all of a sudden are they ready to get it on? I don't know. Dad died so let's be together, I suppose? I think it may have been the fact that now Spencer knows the truth (mostly) about who he really is. So Roarke goes for it. Holy hotness, does he go for it. Even though Roarke is older and in a very high position among the Phouka, there were some surprises in the bedroom that I was quite pleased about.

Now, I've read my fair share of shifter/furry books and I love the trickster thing going on here. It was different and made for one hell of a good time. Spencer and the secondary characters were engaging, clever and their dialogue was just plain funny. With the constant tricks and scams I couldn't tell which way was up sometimes. I would try and rehash the plot a bit, but really, I would butcher it. I was definitely confused at some points. This is a story that needs your undivided attention to really get the full picture.

Amongst all the fun I never expected to cry at the end. But I dare anyone not to cry! I do love a bittersweet, HFN ending. Especially when everything fits. It may not be tied up in a pretty bow, but nothing else would have felt genuine with who Spencer is.

With that, I'm off to investigate book 2. 

So, I'll leave you with this little insight from the hero himself:

"Fate's on my side, man, I'm the hero. Don't you watch TV?"


Find out more info on Goodreads and BookLikes!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment